Proud to be Public welcomes the Senate inquiry into political interference at the ABC. Submissions are due on 13 November 2018 and we are currently working with ABC members on our submission.
If you would like to share your views to help inform our submission please email us at email@example.com by Friday 9th November.
Terms of Reference
The allegations of political interference in the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), with particular reference to:
(a) the termination of ABC Managing Director, Ms Michelle Guthrie;
(b) the conduct of the Chair and the Board;
(c) the structure, composition and appointments of the ABC Board;
(d) the political influence or attempted influence of the Government over ABC editorial decision-making, including:
(i) outcomes of the Competitive Neutrality of the National Broadcaster Inquiry and Efficiency Review – ABC and SBS, and
(ii) the role of funding uncertainty in facilitating political influence;
(e) governance, legislative and funding options to strengthen the editorial independence and strength of the ABC to prosecute its charter obligations; and
(f) other related matters.
Helpful tips for writing a submission
- clearly address some or all of the terms of reference—you do not need to address each one
- be relevant and highlight your own perspective
- be concise, generally no longer than four to five pages
- begin with a short introduction about yourself or the organisation you represent
- emphasise the key points so that they are clear
- outline not only what the issues are but how problems can be addressed, as the committee looks to submissions for ideas to make recommendations
- only include documents that directly relate to your key points
- only include information you would be happy to see published on the internet.
For more information about making a submission to this inquiry, click here